Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mother of the Year

As if it isn't bad enough to walk into daycare, and feel like every other parent is judging you. What I am wearing. . . what Mikie is wearing. . . is his face covered in syrup from breakfast. . . is he bouncing off the walls. . . what sugary breakfast did I pack him this morning. . .

The other day, I go to pick Mikie up from daycare. As usual, he doesn't want to put his coat on. Since the car was still warm, and parked two spaces from the front entrance, I figured he would survive the short walk in the cold to the car.

Of course, as soon as we step outside, he starts crying "I'm freezing. I need my jacket". Immediately, someone turns to look at me (their well behaved child was bundled up). So, I respond in a loud enough voice that others could hear "But you didn't want to wear your jacket. We'll put it on when we get to the car."

Not a minute later, as I am struggling to force him into his carseat, he starts screaming "I WANT MY MOMMY!" Now, you can imagine the whiplash people got as they turned to see what was going on. In a desperate attempt to act like this was a normal interaction for us, I laugh "I AM you're mommy, silly".

Obviously, no one at that daycare is nominating me for mother of the year. I just count myself lucky that they didn't call the police.

Why doesn't he pull these stunts when Mike picks him up?

Love,
The Trahans

1 comment:

Lisa said...

It must be a "Michael" thing. Ah, how fondly I remember that day in Manhattan, pushing my triple stroller with 2 year old twins and a one month old baby the 25 blocks home from an exhausting trip to the nearest playground in Central Park. MY precious Michael had managed to escape from his restraints and jump off the canoe-like stroller. I ran as fast as my post partum self could manage to keep him from heading into the Columbus Circle traffic. I caught him, but as I tried to force (gently, of course) his rigid little body into the seat and buckle him in as tight as the straps would allow, he began the blood curdling screaming. Just a scream, to begin with, but it got attention. Obviously, not the attention he wanted, because he then began the, "I want my MOMMY!" tirade, which got a lot more attention. Thankfully, being in NY, nobody stops. Either because they thought I was the nanny, or they figured any woman kidnappng three children under the age of two is so nuts they'd never want to tangle with her.
Having said that, I take issue with the mother of the year comment. Any mother can raise milk-toast, spineless kids, Lauren, but it takes someone special to handle the spunky, firecracker kids with grace and humor--you've got my vote!