Mikie's second new accomplishment is his ability to count to ten in English. We were at Sears auto getting new tires one night, and in my attempt to distract Mikie from climbing on the display of tires, I told him to help me count them. I said "Mikie, what number comes first" to which he responded "One". Before I could say, "what's the next number", he said "Twoo. . . Threeee. . . Four. . . Five. . . Six. . . Seven. . . Eight. . . Nine. . . Ten". Amazed, I stupidly stood there going, "You can count to 10!?! Who taught you that?!?" I then had to drive everyone in Sears crazy (as if my overactive two year old wasn't annoying enough) by making him count everything in the store. 10 cans of oil. 10 air filters. 10 windshield wipers. 10 shovels. Eventually he got sick of teaching me to count and went back to shoveling the imaginary snow off the floor.
Even more impressive was his ability to ride his bike. Mikie has had a tricycle since last spring. While he likes to ride it, he hadn't figured out pedalling. So, all efforts to ride his bike have been Flintstone-style (feet pushing off the ground). One evening, Mikie and I got home from daycare and work. He saw Mike's bike helmet, and insisted on trying it on. We got inside with the helmet, and he screamed that he wanted his bike. Being that I just got home from work, and Mike was not home, I was willing to humor the kid to have a few minutes of peace. I brought the bike into the kitchen, put his helmet on him, and turned around to filter through the mail. Next thing I know, Mikie is riding past me.
Imagine how you felt when your child took his first steps. . . that was how I felt. I started screaming and clapping. I ran for the camera, then realized that I should get the video camera. So, I ran to get the video camera. Of course, the battery was dead. So, I was running for the A/C adapter so that I could plug it in to film Mikie's first bike ride. I was completely amazed, because he hadn't even sat on the bike in two months. And, he definitely wasn't using the pedals before.
So, in his internet debut (and my first time filming and editing video footage). . . we now present "Mikie Trahan Rides a Bike". Starring, Mikie Trahan (and mom cheering in the background). Click on the picture below to see the video:
Love,
The Trahans
No comments:
Post a Comment