Mikie was enjoying his dinner of peanut butter on banana this evening, when he informed me that peanuts are crunchy. Every trying to infuse learning into a conversation, I ask him what the peanut butter is (smooth, creamy, soft, all would have been good answers). Mikie's answer: "it's peanut butter". I start explaining that peanut butter is smooth and creamy, and that peanuts are crunchy. Then, Mikie informs me that peanuts make teeth come out. Curious (and half wondering if he lost a tooth) I asked him how he knew this. He told me the following story:
Mikie: "When I was a boy. . . "
Mom: choking on my drink while laughing "When you were a boy?" (thinking to myself, what are you now, a girl or a man?)
Mikie: "When I was a little boy, I ate some bread and my tooth came down and fell right out."
The story went on, very serious, about opening the refrigerator and another tooth falling out, and about sleeping and climbing up, to where, I never found out. All I could focus on was "When I was a boy. . . " Next week he'll start telling me how he had to walk up hill to get to school.
While life was less exhausting, it was also far less entertaining before Mikie.
Love, The Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment