Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Mickey Mouse's House

I need to start out this post by apologizing to my Aunt Maureen. When I was 12, my sister and I flew to California to visit my Aunt Maureen, Uncle Jimmy, and cousins James and Krista who were 6 and 3 respectively. They lived near Disney Land, and, since Katie and I had never been to any Disney park, Aunt Maureen and Uncle Jim took us all for the day.

Sometime in the early afternoon, we were forced to leave the park and drive back to the house to TAKE A NAP. When Katie and I told her we didn't take naps anymore, she told us to lay down anyway. Uncle Jimmy took us back to the park later until it closed at 1am to make up for the precious time we wasted napping. However, for the last 18 years, I have harassed her about this trip, because, what 12 year old leaves Disney Land during their first trip to take a nap?

Until last month, when Mike and I took our 3 year old to Disney World. And, I realized that while Mikie insisted he was not tired, I was exhausted. Disney World is sensory overload on a good day. Imagine trying to take in the sites while running after a 3 year old. Mike and I were physically and emotionally exhausted by the end of each day. By the end of the second day, after I swore that I could never leave my child with a perfect stranger, I broke down and hired a babysitter. On our final night there, we paid $14/hour + tip + food for a perfect stranger to watch our child while we went out to dinner. It was the most expensive date ever (cost of trip to Disney, including airfare, hotel, and park admission + cost of dinner at fancy restaurant + cost of babysitter) but was the most restful time of our stay there.

So, to Aunt Maureen, I extend my sincerest apologies. I now understand that YOU needed the nap and, with all these readers as witnesses, I vow never to make fun of you again.

More mouse blogs to follow. But, for now, I'm off to bed.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: