Friday, December 28, 2007

Public Indecency

Let me start by saying that Mikie has been doing a great job of using the potty. So well, that, unless I see him doing a funny dance while watching TV, I don't bother harrassing him. So well that I frequently realize he left the room and used the potty only after I hear a flushing sound.

So, when Mikie told me that he didn't need to use the potty before we left the house for work, I didn't question him. Unfortunately, about 15 minutes from our house (at least 30 minutes from daycare), I heard a little voice saying, "Mom, I have to go pee-pee on the road." I have Mike to thank for teaching Mikie about going pee-pee on the road, but that's a whole other story.

It's December, we have had record amounts of snow which sits like a small mountain on either side of the one-lane road. Short of pulling in to someone's driveway, there is no good rest stop along this stretch of road. So, I drive as fast as I safely can (translation: as fast as the guy in front of me will travel) five minutes up the road to Home Depot.

As I raced into the parking lot, praying that Mikie wasn't peeing on my leather seats, I realized that Home Depot was open. Wonderful. We could use the bathroom like civilized people, rather than pee in the parking lot. So, I pull up as close as I can get to the front entrance. Unfortunately, Mikie had other plans. As I unbuckle his seat belt and inform him of my intention to use the bathroom, he yells, "No, I have to go pee pee NOW!" No sooner did I plant his feet on the ground than I see two bare cheeks facing me.

Even though he can urinate standing up (inside and "on the road"), Mikie has not even attempted "aiming" himself. Being that I was dressed for work (slacks, nice shoes, wool winter coat), and did not want to have to change his pants and underwear in the 16 degree weather, I felt it was in my best interest to help him direct his stream away from the two of us. Standing behind him and using the car door to block him to some degree, I helped Mikie melt the snow under the car. Only after I pulled his pants up did I notice two men get in their cars next to me.

And as if being caught in the act wasn't bad enough, I noticed the following signs as I got back in the driver's seat:
So, next time you are watching YouTube, if you see a 30-year old red-head helping her son urinate in the Home Depot parking lot, please remember that one day that could be you before you forward it on to your friends.

Love, the Trahans

No comments: