Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Son the Bully

I think every parent worries that their child will be bullied. But, Mike and I figured we didn't have to worry about Mikie, since he's Mr. Popularity. Until last week.

On Thursday afternoon, Mikie had an incident on the playground. The school has a rule that you can't have more than three kids on the jungle gym at a time. Evidently, some big kids were playing on the jungle gym. Mikie climbed on, even though there were three kids already on it. One of the boys, a fourth grader, told him to get off or he would push him off. (I know, what is a nine year old doing on a jungle gym?) Anyway, Mikie didn't take too kindly to being threatened, so he bit the kid in the stomach.

When we got home, I told Mikie to tell Dad what happened with the big kids. And, instead of telling him about the playground, he started telling a different story. Two days earlier, some big kids were playing catch inside when we arrived at school. Their "baseball" (which looked to be a Nerf ball) landed a bit to close to Hannah. Mikie picked up the ball and yelled, "Hey, you almost hit my sister!" The teacher took the ball away. But, Mikie was still so enraged, that this was the first "big kid" story he could think of.

Warning to any big kids: don't mess with Hannah or Mikie. Or, there may be throwdown on the playground.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: