Sunday, June 06, 2010

Dear Huggies

I like to think of myself as pretty marketing savvy. I may not have my MBA, but 10 years working in the consumer products industry gives me enough insight to appreciate a genius marketing campaign. But, on a recent trip to Target, I was startled to see this:Diapers made to look like you are wearing jeans? Really?

I get putting cutesy Disney characters on diapers because your child may like insert appropriate Disney movie here (although, arguably, most can't tell you if they like them or not). And, I get the Pull-ups with designs that appear and fade as positive reinforcement for NOT peeing in your diaper (or as a quick signal to an adult that you need a clean one). But, at the end of the day, unless you are letting your kid run around in just a diaper, NO ONE SEES THE DIAPER. Diapers are hidden by CLOTHES. And, in spite of the hot weather, my kid still wears clothes to daycare every day. Sure, she may run around in a diaper for a short span of time after coating her second or third outfit of the day in food while I try and muster enough energy to wrestle her into her pajamas. But, the thought has never entered my mind to let her spend an entire day only wearing a diaper.

In addition, not once has my child complained that her pink princess Pull-ups are "unfashionable" and that she needs the limited edition denim diapers. And, if she could complain, I would argue that maybe it's time to potty train her. Because, if she spends that much time looking at her diaper, she has plenty of free time to figure out that she has to pee.

In spite of the fact that I think this is the stupidest idea the Product Development team at Kimberly Clark could ever muster, I will concede that their marketing department deserves a raise for both their commercial and tagline: "The coolest you'll look pooping your pants."

Regardless, unless they take the plain old Huggies Supreme diapers off store shelves completely for the next four months, I can guarantee that my child will not be wearing them. Let's just hope my boycott doesn't damage her social status with the other girls at daycare.

Love, The Trahans

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I saw those too and wasn't sure what to think. I'm guessing there are plenty of suckers out there ready to buy jean diapers to make that ploy worthwhile...

jj said...

remember that cpg products like huggies are marketed nationwide. I bet there are parts of kentuckyana that are just wild for these :)

Lauren Trahan said...

My sister (who doesn't have kids) thought the commercial was so funny that she posted it on Facebook. She thought it wouldn't be long before they make Denim Depends. Imagine that commercial.