Example 1:
Hannah and I were driving home from daycare/work one evening. Hannah wanted a piece of gum. I told her I didn't have any gum. She continued to ask for a piece of gum. I continued to explain that, I didn't have any, but she could have a piece when we got home. I'm still not sure if a) she didn't understand how there could be gum at home but not in the car or if b) she just didn't like that she wasn't getting her way. Either way, she began screaming, "I WANT A PIECE OF GUM-MAH!", continuously, over and over. While this was going on, my sister called. I answered (I always keep my hands-free device in while driving in case I get a call). Our conversation went something like this: Katie: "Is that the TV in the background?" Me: "No, it's just Hannah." Katie: "Really? What is she so upset about?" Me: "She wants a piece of gum, but I don't have any in the car." Katie: "How can you focus on driving and talking when she is screaming like that?" Me: "She does it so frequently, I guess I just tune her out."
Example 2:
Conversation had with Hannah's teacher after picking her up at daycare one evening. . .
Me: "How was Hannah today?"
Teacher: "She was Hannah."
Me: laughing "I understand."
Teacher: "Yeah, most of the kids are generally happy, with the occasional 'bad day'. Then there's Hannah, who seems to have the 'bad day', with occasional bouts of happiness."
Me: "No offense, but I'm glad you see it to. I was beginning to think this was an act she only put on for me."
Example 3:
This is my favorite, and I only wish I could capture it on video. . . With the exception of putting on her jacket and shoes (which she knows means we are going 'bye-bye'), Hannah does not like to do what I ask. Ever. Even if it is something she ultimately wants to do, she will start by saying "no". But, she doesn't just say "no". She says, "mmmmm. . . NO!" Like, the "mmmmm" beforehand is supposed to soften the blow, because clearly she thought about it before refusing. In actuality, I think she KNOWS she is going to say "no", but she is playing mind games. To look at her, it's like she is thinking, "I'll pretend to think it over, but really, I have no intention of doing what you want." And then there is the glare that goes along with it. . .
In 33 years, I don't think I can stare someone down as effectively as Hannah. Little old ladies have come up to her in a store to comment on "What pretty hair you have." Inevitably, they get the glare, at which point they apologize to me, thinking they scared her. To which I respond, "Oh, she's just not a insert time of day here person" or "She is overdue for a nap."I joke that, if this is what she is like at age 2, I can't imagine her as a teenager. But, with two headstrong redheads under one roof, I don't know that we will both be alive 11 years from now.
Love, The Trahans
No comments:
Post a Comment