By now, everyone who reads this blog knows who runs the show in the Trahan household. And, I am sorry to admit it isn't me. It's Hannah. Sure, I get my way because I am the adult. But, it's hard to feel like you "won" a battle with a 2 year old when, in doing so, she ends up screaming/crying/wreaking havoc on your house. It feels more like a lose-lose.
We came home this evening and Hannah announced she was going to "ride her bike". She does it like she's 14 and letting me know she's going to go play down the road with her friends. While we do live on a very quiet cul-de-sac, we also have a very steep driveway and some neighbors who like to circle the cul-de-sac at a fair speed just to enjoy the view. Plus, their is the less obvious fact that, she's only 2 (less obvious to Hannah, but painfully obvious to those of us who care for her). Rather than argue with her, I chose my new favorite response, "Go talk to your father."
Before you take pity on Mike, let me remind you that, Hannah is Mike's "sweetheart" and, in Hannah's eyes, dad is great. Granted, dad is great because he caves to Hannah's every desire more than mom does. Reason number two NOT to feel sorry for Mike: he is leaving town for the next three days making me a single working mom. And, if you are a single working mom or have portrayed one for a short period of time, you know that it is hands down the hardest job in the universe. It is these days that I typically take up my writing campaign to the Vatican to canonize my mother and mother-in-law.
So, while I start dinner, Mike goes outside to watch Hannah circle the cul-de-sac.
He returned with this video.
Maybe the continuous loop of "Olivia" movies that plays in my car has finally affected my sanity. But, there is something about this video that makes me laugh so hard I can't breathe. I think it is a combination of the sweet look of contentment on her face, coupled with how focused and serious she is, looking around as if to make sure she isn't going to hit a squirrel or get hit by another Little Tikes driver (which is unlikely, being that most other toddlers are heading to bed at 7pm).
I will have to remember this tomorrow night when she is screaming at me that she is going to "GO RIDE MY BIKE, OKAY?!?" Sigh. . . if only I had a clone to cook dinner while I have fun playing with the kids. . .
Love, The Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment