Thanks to my blog, I realized that I have not documented the birth of my first born child in the last three years. I will blame this in part on Hannah (because, looking back, she has monopolized blog coverage like everything else in this house) and in part on my job. And, thanks to the Internet, all of my future grandchildren will know this as well.
Regardless, I am writing this post with 20 minutes to go before September 6th, 2012. Eight years ago, I was trying to sleep after eating Tex Mex Spring Rolls from Damons, followed by a Strawberry Fields Salad and Oreo Madness at TGI Fridays (hey, I was pregnant). But, I was having muscle spasms in my abdomen that kept making me get up and empty my bladder. Eventually, it dawned on me that these abdominal muscle contractions might mean I was in labor (again, pregnant = loss of brain function). By 11am, Mike told me we should drive to the hospital, even though I was convinced I was just really constipated. I didn't let him bring in the hospital bags, I was so convinced I would be discharged. I mean, what were the odds I would go into labor on Labor Day?
Evidently, pretty good. Ten hours later and you were born.
Celebrating your first birthday in Maryland:
Your first BMW, just like Daddy's:
Celebrating your eighth birthday with a sombrero after the Woodstock Fair. When the owner said you couldn't keep the hat, you asked him to buy you one. When we told you he got it in Mexico, you said, "Well, can you at least give me the plane tickets?" Because, clearly, that's the cheaper way out. . .
You may not think we're perfect, in fact, lately, you have a knack for pointing out all of my flaws, in a nonchalant, just-trying-to-help kind of way that isn't supposed to offend me. But, when I see how far you've come, when you amaze me with your reasoning skills, or your compassion for others, I know that, at a minimum, we did one thing perfectly right. We had you. And, I look forward to all the other birthdays we get to share together. Even if I don't blog about them ;-)Happy Birthday, Trouble!
Love, The Trahans

No comments:
Post a Comment