Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stream of Consciousness

There are five more days left of commuting 52 miles to and from work left for me. You would think I'd be ecstatic. But, the closer we seem to come to moving, the more painful my commute seems to be. Part of me thinks God is trying to make us even more appreciative of the change once we move. But, I really think I am starting to lose my mind.  Just read some of the thoughts that go through my mind during my three to four hours in the car:

"Once I get to work, I will only have ten more times that I have to make this drive...ten..."

(After reading a Connecticut vanity tag) "'EXIT12'?!? What is that supposed to mean?  That is the stupidest license plate I've seen yet.  Why would you pay money for that license plate?  What exit is exit 12 in CT anyway?  Stamford is 8-10, so it must be somewhere between Stamford and Milford.  What could possibly be the significance of some town between Stamford and Milford?"

(After reading a sign updating traffic conditions) "8 miles and 8 minutes to Allston/Brighton.  How is that possible?  I am stopped. Literally traveling 0 miles an hour. The top speed I have reached in the last 20 minutes is 20 miles an hour. The only way I could travel 8 miles in 8 minutes would be if my car turned into a helicopter right now. Or if I had a plow attached to the front of my car and could bulldoze traffic around me.  Now THAT would be cool!"

(8 minutes later) "So, clearly that sign must be a joke, because I have traveled less than half a mile."

(28 minutes later) "8 miles in 28 minutes would have been more accurate.  I don't know how they determine these travel times, but they should double their calculation before posting it. If it said '8 miles 40 minutes', right now I'd be thinking, "Woo Hoo!  I made it in 28 minutes. That's got to be some kind of record!'  Instead, I'm just pissed off at the ineptitude of MassDOT."


(The next day, after reading the same sign) "Maybe they should make MassDOT employees get in a car and drive the Pike all day long to report on travel conditions. That would be the WORST job ever. They could punish criminals by making them drive it.  Wait, no, bad idea. They might crash intentionally. I bet if Jesus came back to earth now, the Romans would torture him by making him drive the Pike repeatedly before crucifying him.  Wait, that seems sacrilegious. I wonder if God will consider my torturous endurance of this traffic as atonement..."

(After the announcement that the Pats signed Tim Tebow) "I hope Tim Tebow never has to drive on I-90 or I-93 during rush hour.  It may shake his faith knowing Hell does exist."

(Too the tune of 'Stuck In The Middle With You') "Cars to the left of me / More cars to my right / Here I am / Stuck in rush hour with you."

"Why do I wake up everyday thinking, 'Maybe there won't be traffic today?'  Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?  Am I insane?  I must be if I drive this everyday and still wake up the next day wondering if there will be less traffic.  I think I'm sane...is this what insane feels like?  Thinking your sane when your not?  Maybe I don't actually THINK there will be less traffic.  I just WISH there would be less traffic. That must be the difference. Still sane, just hopelessly optimistic..."

"AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" Think McCaully Culkin screaming in Home Alone...this was actually in my out loud voice.

Wow, seeing it written out definitely makes me rethink my sanity...

10 days until we close...10 more nights sleeping in a hotel...9 more times I have to drive along the Mass Pike during rush hour...

Pray for our sanity between now and the 25th.

Love, The Trahans

. 

1 comment:

AndysMom said...

When I was commuting, I started to think that my negative thoughts about traffic were what was causing all the traffic. So I started trying positive intent. Traffic still totally blew, but Tom got a promotion, and I quit. So in the end, I guess it still worked out to less traffic for me.