Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Pleasant Surprise

Typically, by the time I get home from work, my two minions (or at least Hannah) accost me before I've even removed my coat and put down my bag to ask, "what's for dinner?" or "can we eat out?" So, Friday was a pleasant turn of events.

Don't get me wrong, I was still accosted the second I walked in the door.  But, this time, it was a race to see my reaction to the present my son bought me. . . the present that came from the jewelry store in town.  And, no, it wasn't my birthday.

It all started with my husband's love of hockey.  Former Bruin's player, Bob Sweeney, visited Mikie's middle school class to present the Future Goals:  Hockey Scholar Program, which is a joint initiative between Everfi and the NHL.  Knowing that Mike is a fan, Mikie tried to get the guy's autograph, as did a number of students.  Unfortunately, Bob didn't have enough time to sign autographs for everyone, so he (wisely) didn't sign any autographs.  Feeling bad, he sent bags of Bruins stuff (posters, stickers, etc.) to the kids after the fact.  Specifically, on Friday.

Now, I don't think I've ever complained to my kids about not getting a present when someone else gets a present. Exception:  my birthday.  Because it's on Valentine's Day, my sister always got presents, a fact I continue to joke about today (which manifests itself as a need for multiple presents from my husband).  But, for some reason, my son thought it would be unfair to bring home a free bag of Bruins miscellany for my husband without bringing home a gift for Hannah and I.  So, after school, he decided to use the cash he had in his wallet to go shopping.

There are limited options in the center of town:  CVS, some wedding boutiques, some clothing boutiques, a book store (which is hidden behind some other shops), some hair salons, and a massive jewelry store.  And, this is where my son decided to shop.

Picture it:  Into an upscale jewelry store with staff members in suits and dresses walks an 11 year old boy.  He is wearing athletic pants, winter coat, and snow boots carrying a book bag and his oboe.  He struts in like there is nothing unusual about his presence in an upscale jewelry store and boldly asks, "So, what can I buy for less than $34?"  Can you imagine the looks on their faces?  A mixture of confusion, disdain, and amusement for this child that, I'm sure they thought was intentionally trying to waste their time.  I imagine someone asked who he was shopping for, which prompted Mikie to deliver his lengthy story.  He was shown "silver and bronze hoop earrings", which he rejected because he "wasn't sure if you had your ears pierced."  (Typical male to not notice these details. . . Hannah could tell you not only that my ears are pierced, but what my earrings look like).  Then he was shown charms.  He settled on a pearl topped ice-cream cone because, "everyone likes ice cream and it can remind you of how sweet your family is."  This, after rejecting the watering can charm because he "thought it would be a cruel joke given your inability to keep plants alive."

Long story short, 2016 will forever stand out in my mind as the year that Mikie graduated from gifting me macaroni necklaces to actual jewelry.  Although it wasn't something I would have picked for myself, and I felt guilty that he spent $26 on a gift that I didn't need, I found a white gold chain to match and dutifully wear it. . . as a reminder of the sweet boy who bought it for me.
 

Incidentally, Hannah was gifted a lollipop, possibly a gift with purchase from the same store, which she quickly consumed to avoid the risk that Mikie might take it back.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: