Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Top Sign You Live in the Middle of Nowhere. . .

. . .You have to fill out a "Route Card" so that your mail carrier knows to drop off your mail!

I have moved seven times (excluding changing dorms in college). Each time, I either pick up a change of address card from the post office and mail it back, or pay the $1 processing fee and change my address online. So, almost 2 weeks after buying the house, I was wondering why I still haven't received any mail at the house. It isn't at the apartment, so I know they processed the address change. And, according to all the companies I have ordered from, I should have gotten packages, not to mention bills, mail from my mom, etc.

Since I left work early yesterday to take Mikie to the doctor's, I had time to stop by the local post office before it closed. The first question they asked was "did you fill out a Route Card?" I assumed they meant a Change of Address Card, and I informed them I filled it out online. The teller then explained that a "Route Card" is different. It lets your mail carrier know that he/she should add you to the route. I unwittingly assumed that, like every other place I have lived, the Post Office automatically added me to the route when I filled out the "Change of Address Card." But, I guess it would be too confusing to deliver mail to every mailbox you happen to pass along the way.

After filling out the "Route Card" and contact the local Post Master, we are now successfully receiving mail at our new address. Just in time to pay the bills.

Love, The Trahans

1 comment:

Christie said...

HA! That just proves that you live more in the boonies than where I grew up....scary that it is only 6 miles down the road. Must be a "Northbridge" thing. :-)