Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Favorite Toy

This weekend is Mikie's friend, Connor's, birthday party. Mike, being a male, insisted on doing the shopping because he "knows boys" better than I do. Forget the fact that I work with Connor's dad, talk with Connor's mom most mornings at daycare, and see Connor when I drop Mikie off in the morning. Not to mention I did give birth to a boy. None of this qualifies me for shopping for little boys.

So, Mike purchased two Transformers. Mikie was asleep when the shopping trip occurred, so he did not see what we bought. And, knowing that he likes Transformers (and most action figures), we didn't bother telling him what we bought.

Fast forward to this morning. I was trying to convince Mikie into putting on his jacket and leaving for school with me. He told me he had a new toy that was his favorite that he wanted to bring to school. The conversation continued like this:

Mikie: "Mom, I'm going to bring my new favorite toy to school because it's my favorite."

Mom: "What is it?"

Mikie: "It's my favorite 'cause its the best"

Mom: "Where is it so we can get it and leave for school."

Mikie: "It's my red Transformer."

Now, I am confused, because I know of only two Transformers that we own: a black one, and a cement mixer that Mike found from when he was a kid that, as far as I can tell, is not red. And so the conversation continues:

Mom: "You don't have a red Transformer."

Mikie: "Yes I do."

Mom: "Where is it?"

Mikie: "It's my red Transformer Car in your closet."

Okay, it's 7:30 in the morning, and my brain isn't completely awake. But, after a few seconds, I realize that he is talking about the birthday present for Connor that is hidden in my closet.

Mom: "Mikie, those aren't your cars. We bought those for Connor's birthday party. (Quickly realizing this could spoil any surprise. . . ) And it's a SURPRISE so you CAN'T tell him."

Mikie: whining "But I want them."

Somehow, I got his coat on him and forced him out the door. There may have been some vague promise about getting him a Transformer on another day. To which he responded, "Then I will have TWO red Transformer cars."

Note to self: put a keyed lock on the attic door before Christmas.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: