How could I deny a three year old's dream? I couldn't. So, I searched every ice skating rink in the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island until I found the ONE and only rink that offered the learn to skate class for three year olds on the weekend (evidently, most hockey moms do not work and can take their kids ice skating at 11am on a Tuesday).
Luckily for Mike and I, the rink is only 45 minutes away. And, since they had a 10am class, we only have to wake up by 7:30am to get ready and get to class in time. Barring snow storms.
The first weekend, Mike got up, cleared the driveway of about a foot of snow, and we drove to class. Unfortunately, we got there only to find out that class didn't start until the following Saturday (something which should have been clarified in the registration paperwork).
The second weekend, Mike got up, cleared TWO driveways (ours and our neighbor who's husband was out of town and had just had surgery on her hand) of about six inches of snow. We drove to class in horrendous conditions (it was still snowing and the plows really weren't running yet) for a 25 minute lesson. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what is.
The class is quite entertaining. The first lesson was quite a challenge. The teacher made all the kids sit on the ice. Then, they had to sit on their knees. From there, they all put one leg up, and pushed off the ice into a standing position. If you're three, listening and following directions are challenging enough. Because he couldn't get himself back up, Mikie grabbed the teacher's hand for a lift. Unfortunately, once he had it, he was slow to let go.
The verdict is still out if the 25 minutes of ice time is worth the money and the mileage. Hopefully, seeing his face when he gets out on the ice with a hockey stick will make it all worth while.
Love, The Trahans
No comments:
Post a Comment