Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Garbage

There's no better way to boost your self esteem than listen to your three year old. . .

Mikie came home from daycare a few weeks ago, asking for a dream catcher. Evidently, they had one at daycare and it kept him from having bad dreams. Now, I could have very easily purchased a dream catcher on the internet. But, Mikie and I were going to be home that Friday, waiting for the new couch. And, in my never ending pursuit of being the perfect mom, I thought it would be fun for us to make one.

Off we went to Michaels. Mikie picked out the feathers and beads himself, along with a few unplanned purchases (like new train tracks and Thomas engines). After two days of hard work, I had a finished a beautiful dream catcher, woven with gold thread and adorned with red feathers and beads.

I proudly showed it to Mikie, asking "So how does it look?" My child's response? "It looks like garbage."

As I was about to order a new dream catcher on the internet, Mikie came in and begrudgingly told me (through gritted teeth) that "it was beautiful". I'm 99% positive Mike put him up to it.

The next day, I saw the "dream catcher" they had at daycare. It was actually an authentic war shield, nearly 3 feet in diameter, the center of which was white fur. In comparison, my 6 inch feathery concoction does seem to fall short.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: