Mikie has a Leapfrog toy called a "Word Wammer". It has three slots to insert magnetic letters to spell words. There are different challenges: you can pick three random letters and when you press them, the toy sounds out the word, or it will tell you a word and you have to find the letters and put them in the right sequence to spell the word.
One morning while eating breakfast, Mikie was playing with the "Word Wammer". It was asking him to find the letters in the word "pug". I helped Mikie sound out the letters (and gave him hints as to what color the letters were to help him locate them faster). And, after a few minutes, he had successfully spelled the word "pug".
Once you spell a word correctly, it gives you a new challenge, like "create a word that rhymes with 'pug'" or "create a new word by changing a letter in the word 'pug'". I was distracted, trying to get two kids fed and in the car, so I didn't notice the new word Mikie created until we got home: P-U-B.
Yes, he spelled pub. By himself. No help. And while we were all amused, I'm sure Mike gave him a high five when reading stories at bed time.
Love, The Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
1 comment:
hehe - thank goodness the toy doesn't have six slots for letters, otherwise you may have found RPI PUB. :-)
Post a Comment