Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Maestro

Because we have a long commute to work/school/daycare, I let Mikie watch "movies" en route. When he was younger, I pushed the "educational" DVDs: Between the Lions, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins. When he got sick of those, I started pushing classic cartoons: Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Tom & Jerry. As I drive, I would hear everything from the occasional giggle or squeal, lines of dialogue, to bits of the refrain of theme songs. The random bits of theme songs makes me laugh, since Mikie loves to chastise me for singing in the car, and yet, he does the same thing.

As he has gotten older, he has gotten more opinionated (and whiney), I tend to give in and let him watch Star Wars. Mostly Episodes IV, V, and VI, since they are PG circa 1980, which translates to less gore and no real romantic plot (the Leia/Han relationship is really danced around). And, like the cartoons, I still hear Mikie chattering away in the back. Every once in a while, he'll yell "Mom, R2 said. . ." or "Mom, Luke and Darth are battling with their lightsavers."

But, the most amusing sound I heard during a recent Star Wars viewing was Mikie "singing" along to the music that plays during the closing credits. At the top of his lungs.

It makes you wonder if John Williams' parents woke up every morning to the young composer singing as he got dressed "Duh Duh, duh duh, Duh Duh, duh duh, Du DA du, Du DA du, Du DAAAA da da duh duh."

I blame myself. I think "Rock A Bye Baby" is a frightening lullabye, so I used to sing Dave Matthews "Ants Marching", complete with instrumental parts. At least I can play this back for him next time he ridicules me for singing in the car. . .

Love, The Trahans

No comments: