Friday, October 08, 2010

For the Love of Sugar

Most days, I avoid the grocery store like the plague. Since my role other than "working mom" is "personal chauffeur to Master and Mistress Trahan", I am tired at the end of the day. Hell, that's an understatement: I'm tired in the middle of the day. But, by the end of the day, with two kids in tow, the thought of taking them out in public makes me want to run and hide.

And then there are those days where I am desperate for. . . something. Inside, part of me is screaming "No. . .NO. . . HELL NO! Turn back. Find a happy place." And then there is another part of me that looks in the back seat, sees my munchkins sitting contentedly, and says "It won't be that bad. We'll be in and out in no time." Famous last words. . .

In preparation for Mikie's birthday party, I HAD to go to the grocery store. I had plans to bake a lot of things. . . cakes shaped like Lego guys, sugar cookies shaped like Star Wars figures, brownies, etc. And, to accomplish these things, I needed to replenish my stock of baking supplies. I should have gone on my lunch break, but, I didn't. Which is how Hannah and I ended up in the baking aisle of Price Chopper one evening. . .

If you read "Sugar and Spice...", you know Hannah has a thing for sugar. You'd think having been traumatized by the sheer volume of sugar coating my child and my living room, that I would have more sense than to let my child walk down the baking aisle. But, clearly, logic and reasoning skills had abandoned me when I pulled into the parking lot. Otherwise, I wouldn't have entered the store. But, I did enter the store, and I did put the child down so I could reach the box of brownie mix off the top shelf. By the time I looked back, Hannah had picked up THREE packages of rainbow sprinkles. She had one under her right arm, one in her right hand, one hugged against her chest with her left hand, and was trying to make a quick getaway down the aisle before I noticed (as quick as one can when there legs are 12 inches long and they are carrying their weight in sugar).

After blocking her exit, I managed to stop laughing long enough to grab my cell phone to capture her attempt to eat the sprinkles. I did get a few nasty looks from an old man who obviously thought I should take away the sprinkles and discipline my child, NOT capturing her antics for all posterity. Clearly, he doesn't read this blog.

Love, The Trahans

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I am so glad you chose to capture the moment!

Kristine said...

I am so glad you chose to capture the moment!