Saturday, April 06, 2013

Sell This House. . . Check!

I realize it has been a long time between posts.  And a lot has happened.

First on the to-do list was selling this house.  And, I will say, I won't sell another house until my kids are teenagers.  If we ever move again, because, as I keep saying, "I hate moving".  I have said this two other times in my life, and each time I vow, "This is the house we are going to live in forever. . . the kids can bury us in the backyard."  Until we move again.  

It is infinitely hard to sell a house when you have two kids.  Because, the key to selling your house is making it look like something out of a magazine when anyone comes to view it.  Now, Mike and I are not "messy" people.  Our house is generally neat.  Yeah, I should dust and vaccuum more frequently.  But, if people popped over unannounced, I wouldn't be embarrassed by the state of my house.  Possible exception, the bathroom toilets since the kids will occassionally forget to flush and no one discovers it until we get home 10 hours later.  

My point is, the house is usually organized.  But, not magazine worthy.  And, to get that last bit of chaos and clutter cleaned up is no easy feat.  Opening and filing away mail.  Hand drying everything in the drying rack so that it can be put away.  Staying on top of the laundry so that there isn't any in the dryer should a buyer want to open it up to see the capacity.  Keeping the stainless steel refrigerator free of smudgy finger prints.  Polishing the granite counters so that they sparkle.  Cleaning the toilets, showers, sinks so that they don't have toothpaste haze on the chrome finish.  Swiffering the hardwood floors.  Most of those things could be done at night while they were sleeping.  But, making their beds every morning, opening the blinds to let all the natural light in and swiffering my way out of the house. . . those three tasks added a significant amount of time to my morning.  Every day I thought, "I have defied the third law of thermodynamics and reduced Entropy!"  And, by the time I got to daycare with the kids and realized, I forgot someone's jacket, stuffed animal for naptime, what day of the week it is, I realized that while the house may exist in a lower state of entropy, my life/brain was in a higher state.  

Thankfully, our efforts paid off and we had an offer after the first showing.  For anyone who hadn't seen our house, you can see the video our agent posted here.  We did have to clean like crazy people three other times for backup showings and the home inspection.  But, as of earlier this week, we have a signed Purchase & Sale Agreement and our buyer has secured a mortgage.  So, we are in the home stretch.


Now on to finding a new house. . . which makes for a lot of entertaining posts.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: