![]() |
| Oh to be young and naive (and skinny) again. |
![]() |
| Our first home |
| Our second home |
Second, having lived in our beautiful home for the last six years, we had lofty standards for a prospective new home to meet:
- central air conditioning for our allergies
- two car garage because we live in New England
- at least three bedrooms plus a separate office, or four bedrooms if there is no separate office
- at least two full bathrooms (because Hannah and I will not survive if we have to share a bathroom when she is a teenager)
- ideally gas heat, because we spend a fortune on oil to heat our current house
From January to March, we stalked homes. Literally. We both had every real estate app. We would look at properties and night and star ones we liked. On March 13th, we accepted an offer on our house. Within an hour, I called our agent to request showings of a new construction that had been listed on March 12th. She called me back to tell me it was already under contract. In 24 hours.
Initially, I dismissed this little detail because it was a new construction at a really great price. The other house the builder sold in that development had sold for $250K MORE.
In our efforts to reduce strain on the kids, we went to showings in the middle of the day while they were in school. Not super convenient since we both work full time, but our employers seemed to recognize it was a short term issue. What we quickly realized was there was so little inventory that EVERY home was selling within 24-48 hours. For example, the first house we put an offer on, we were one of 20 couples to walk through in the first 24 hours. And, we were one of at least three people bidding on it. Second example: my boss told me his wife's friend was selling her home on Facebook if I was interested. I scoffed and said, "she'll never succeed with that approach. . . I'll look at it this weekend if I don't find anything else." It was under contract within 3 days. Anything that wasn't sold in a week made you wonder "what's wrong with it?"
For five and a half weeks, we searched. Every night, we culled through listings. On Thursdays and Fridays, I would spend my entire lunch looking at what came on-line that morning (realizing most agent listed on Thursday or Friday, had an open house on Saturday and/or Sunday, and accepted offers on Monday). I dropped everything to see house in the middle of the day if our agent, Alison, could get an appointment. And, we saw a LOT of homes. Three we liked enough to put offers on (two of which were obviously not accepted). I lost count on how many I walked through. I plotted out Sunday's packed with open houses scattered across towns 15 miles apart and dragged Mike and the kids to them (because, with the amount of gas I was using to look for homes, I couldn't waste money on a babysitter). Last weekend, I dragged Mike to see six homes. He still has to look at the pictures to remember what we bought.
And, we are currently dealing with the little snafu of "what do we do between houses?" We (fingers crossed) are scheduled to close on our house on Monday and rent back through June 2nd. But, we can't close on the new house before June 25th. So, for 3 weeks, we will be homeless. We are hoping to negotiate with our buyers to move out after school ends (June 21st) so that Mikie can finish school in Northbridge. Then, we can spend an extended weekend at a hotel near the new house. But, if we are unsuccessful, we will be renting a hotel through the 21st near Northbridge, moving all of our stuff into storage for three weeks, then moving to a hotel near the new house for a long weekend before we close and move in.
So, where are we moving? We will be moving to Andover, about 20 miles North of Boston. You can click here to watch the video tour, or just check out some of the pictures below:
| Our home-to-be |
| Living room |
| Dining room |
| Kitchen |
Love, The Trahans


No comments:
Post a Comment