Let me preface this story by explaining that Mike is a fairly sound sleeper. You can try to wake him up and have a conversation with him, and although he may answer you, he is still asleep. In this sleep induced stupor, Mike has a tendency to either lift Mikie into our bed or go sleep in Mikie's room if Mikie wakes up with a bad dream. Now, I hate having a restless 4-year old kicking me in the back while I am trying to sleep (I can't imagine anyone who would enjoy being kicked while sleeping). And, since I am pregnant, I have been even more adamant about everyone sleeping in their own beds, because I cherish my sleep.
Try as I might to explain to Mikie that Dad is useless during the night, he doesn't always wake me up when he has a bad dream. This might be because he is considerate of the fact I need to sleep. Or, it could just be that Mike sleeps closer to the bedroom door. . .
Regardless, on Sunday night, Mikie had a bad dream. To hear Mike's side of the story, Mikie had woken up every hour from midnight on. I will admit, I slept through these earlier incidents. However, at 3am, I heard Mikie enter our bedroom. I vaguely heard him say something to Mike about trying to scare the monster that was in his room. I heard him ask Mike "Is that a good idea, Dad?" to which Mike responded "Yeah, sure, buddy."
Before I could react to what was going on, I was awoken by the sound of a lion in my hallway. Yes, my son was standing in the hall outside our bedroom yelling "ROARRRR!!!!" over and over again at the top of his lungs. And, in between each round of roars, you could hear him saying, "Can you hear me, Dad?" or "Is that good, Dad?"
After we all quieted down, Mikie ended up in our bed. Although, Mike didn't put him in the middle of the bed (I guess trying to spare my abdomen from kicking by both our children). And at 4am, I was awoken again, this time by a big "thud" when Mikie rolled out of bed. Thankfully he wasn't hurt. When I tried to talk to him in the morning about his bad night, he briefly mentioned a dragon in his room. But, his bigger issue was that the baby had pushed him out of the bed. Poor child, not even out of the womb and already being blamed for all of life's problems.
When he woke up on Monday night, I went in to comfort him. Because, somehow, when I wake up, Mikie sleeps through the night afterward.
Now if only I could get over my bad dream that I am being attacked by lions. . .
Love, The Trahans
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment