Saturday, January 24, 2009

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Friday

Otherwise titled "Things You Never Say in Your Out Loud Voice". . .

In spite of my brief hospital stay, I was still unconvinced that I have acid reflux. So, I went back to my OB on Thursday morning and whined about being in pain and not being able to survive another 6+ weeks like this. Still determined that I have acid reflux, I scored ANOTHER prescription for some GI medicine. Unlike the Prilosec, I have to take this one four times a day, 30 minutes before eating or sleeping.

On a good day, anyone who knows me would agree I tend to be absent minded (which, I say is a sign of intelligence). The fact that I am insanely busy with a complex launch at work, and pregnant, is not helping my absent mindedness. I can recall what fragrance level and extract blend I am putting in each of 36 different products. But, I can't recall my zip code when asked by the cashier at a store.

So, the concept of recognizing that I will be hungry in 30 minutes and should take my medicine is difficult. Sure enough, before leaving for work, I realized I couldn't eat because I hadn't taken my medicine. The solution, take it now, leave in 10 minutes, stop at the McDonald's 20 minutes away for a Fruit & Yogurt parfait. This solves the breakfast issue, and keeps me from getting to work 40 minutes late.

As I pulled up to the McDonald's window to grab my order, the FEMALE clerk passes me my juice, passes me my bag, and asks "Are you having twins?" I fought back every urge to cry, throw my yogurt in her face, ask for her manager, etc. and replied "No" before driving away. I mean, I may be big (or "all belly" as the doctor's keep telling me), but I don't think I look like the opening theme to Jon & Kate Plus Eight.

Lesson to anyone out there (especially men), avoid making statements like these in your out loud voices. You run the risk of insulting someone who isn't pregnant, or worse, ruining a very pregnant, very hormonal woman's day.

Happy Weekend!

Love, The Trahans

No comments: