Hannah is a little blob. A cute blob, but a blob none the less. At eight months, she has made no attempt to crawl. She is content to sit where she is and enjoy being doted on. And, unfortunately (due to her cuteness and generally pleasant disposition), EVERYONE dotes on her. We bring her toys, food, coddle her when she makes a sad face. It isn't just Mike, Mikie and I who are guilty. Daycare workers, even the other babies in her class. Hannah sits in one place, and I watch the other kids crawl or walk over to her. Someone takes her toy; Hannah looks sad, and either the other child gives it back or the teacher comes to her rescue.

Of course, I end up feeling like a jerk when I don't jump to attention. Because I have to get two kids ready for school each morning (in addition to attempting to make myself look presentable), I have to leave them to play. Some mornings, Hannah has no issue playing with her toys (or watching Mikie play with her toys). However, if she sees me look over at her, the sad face appears, followed shortly thereafter by sobs implying "How could you abandon me, leaving me with this crazy kid?"

Forget trying to encourage her to crawl. Lay her on her stomach, and the sobs are accompanied by the pathetic head-into-the-carpet move. "Don't worry. . . I'll be okay. . . I'm sure I won't suffocate even though I can't move and seem to have forgotten to turn my head to the side so I can breath without swallowing carpet fibers." If only she hadn't inherited Mikie's flair for the dramatic. . .
Since encouraging her to crawl appears futile, I try to encourage the one activity she loves. . . walking. She hasn't mastered her footwork and frequently steps on her own feet (she inherited my grace too). Here is a
video of Hannah walking to Mike. Before we grabbed the camera, she looked like a pirate, moving one leg and dragging the second behind. After we turned on the camera, she started lifting both legs, in a homage to the tango.
My apologies to my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Only now do I realize how much back pain you must have suffered in an effort to keep me happy. If I didn't fear for her life as it is, I would teach Mikie how to help her walk.
Love, The Trahans
No comments:
Post a Comment