Mike was out of town for the majority of this week on business, leaving me to take care of myself and two kids. To add insult to injury, it was school vacation this week. AND, I have a ton of projects at work. Plus, Hannah got a bad case of allergies or a head cold (the doctor and I don't agree on this one) which resulted in a mild ear infection.
In spite of everything, I managed to make it to the weekend. Until I woke up this morning. My face and neck were itching like crazy. Realizing I fell asleep without taking any Zyrtec last night, I immediately took some. No help. So I took some Benadryl and a warm shower. Still no help. I then grabbed my supply of a chemical that is naturally found in oat extract, avenanthramide, which is a fabulous topical anti-histamine. I all but washed in it. Still no help.
It was about noon when I realized that this rash was hives, and that I needed to call a doctor. Unfortunately, my doctor's office was closed, and routed me to the on-call doctor, who works for another practice. As I explained what the issue was, my brain was working overtime to think of what I was reacting to. Have I used any new personal care products? Of course, I MAKE them. Have I used any new chemicals I haven't already been exposed to? No. Have I been exposed to penicillin. No. Wait. . . I gave Hannah her antibiotic last night. Did I get any on myself? No, I made sure she didn't spit it out. But, she has kissed me, hugged me, slobbered on me, all those cute things babies do when they love you. . .
Yes, I am having an allergic reaction to my daughter. Twenty-one pounds of cuteness is literally causing me to break out in hives. Doctor's advice: avoid contact with her and have someone else administer the antibiotic. Oh, and go to the ER if my throat starts to close up or I have difficulty breathing.
Well, that shouldn't be an issue. After all, I'm only HER MOTHER!
One day, I'm sure I will look back and laugh at the irony of it all. I love to joke that these kids are "going to be the death of me". In this case, it's true.
Love, the Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment