Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dinner Conversation

Usually, our dinner conversation is pretty mundane. Mike and I try and get Mikie to tell us what he did at school, usually to no avail. And, since Mike had turned the Bruins game on, I wasn't expecting much conversation this evening either. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

Mikie had just finished watching a Scooby Doo cartoon where the gang were at a wrestling arena. After it was over, he showed me his "wrestling moves" and was trying to convince me to wrestle him. Luckily, Mike came home, so we postponed wrestling until after dinner. However, as you can tell from the conversation below, wrestling was still on his mind. . .

Mikie: "Mom, I want to go to the wrestling place."

Mom: "Mommy doesn't want you to go because what if you get boo-boos?"

Mikie: "I won't get boo-boos at MY wrestling place."

Mom: "Where is this wrestling place?"

Mikie: "It's all the way at the end of the earth."

Mom: "How do we get there?"

Mikie: "You go over the water. . . then over the OTHER water. . . then past the COWBOY place. . . and past the HOCKEY place. . . then all the way to the wrestling place."

Mom: "How are we going to get there if we have to go over the water?"

Mikie: "You need to drive something that floats."

Mom: "What do we take when we go past the cowboy place?"

Mikie: "Then you drive a car all the way to the wrestling place."

Mom: "Where are we going to get something that floats?"

Mikie: "We need a big boat. We can get a big boat from my HOUSE."

Mom: looking around "This is YOUR house, right?"

Mikie: "Yeah."

Mom: "Where do you think we're hiding a big boat?"

Mikie: "It's hiding under our grass. We have to dig for it."

Mom: "Using a shovel?"

Mikie: scratching at the air "No, we have to dig for it using our HANDS."

At this point, Mike is scribbling frantically to capture the whole dialogue, and I am about to turn blue trying to fight back laughter. Luckily, Mikie didn't notice and continued his explanation of the hunt for the big boat. . .

Mikie: "How are we going to break this earth?"

Mom: "I still think we could use shovels."

Mikie: "No. We're going to have to lift this house up."

Mom: "Who has muscles strong enough to lift this house? Are your muscles strong enough?"

Mikie: "No."

Mom: "So who's going to lift this house?"

Mikie: "You and Daddy."

Mom: "My muscles can barely lift you!"

Mikie: "Can they lift a house?"

Of course! I mean, I can't lift a child weighing 40-lbs, but I'm sure I can lift a two story house!

There was only one way to answer that question and put an end to the conversation. . .

Mom: "I don't know, but we can go outside and try after we finish our dinner."

Just in case you were wondering, I was NOT able to lift the house (I know, and I look so strong). So, we are going to have to find alternate means of procuring a boat.

Love, The Trahans

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Lauren, Your stories always make me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing!

Kristine & Javi