In a more contested race than the presidential election, we have now opened the polls for naming baby Trahan. We had three lovely boy's names picked out. And, unfortunately for Mikie, Little Nibbles (as Mikie affectionately dubbed the baby) is a girl. This has been a hard concept for Mikie to grasp, as he really wanted a boy. I know, he had been adamant that it was a sister for a long time. However, over the last two weeks, he's been talking about a brother (I think he realized a brother had better long term potential for a playmate). The conversation went something like this:
Mom: "So, the doctor took pictures of Little Nibbles today and she is a girl."
Mikie: "No, I want Little Nibbles to be a boy."
Mom: "Well, Little Nibbles doesn't have a penis, so she has to be a girl."
Mikie: "Well, I think in 5 days, he'll grow a penis."
Mom: "Mikie, it's been 20 weeks and Little Nibbles hasn't grown a penis. I don't think another 5 days will help."
Now we are faced with the challenge of selecting a girl's name that we all like. And, since we haven't come to an agreement over the last 20 weeks, this could be quite a challenge. So, I have decided to open up the polls to help name Little Nibbles. I will list our top names below. You can vote for one of the names below, or write in a name. All write-in entries should go with one of the following middle names: Helen, Hope, Rose, or Reilly (family names I really like). Also, any write-in entries should roll off the tongue when yelled from the bottom of the stairs (or in a store, at the park, etc.) And, before my dad tries to be cute/funny, we are not going to use the names "Muriel" or "Gertrude" as Grandma would never forgive me. So, don't bother wasting your vote.
DISCLAIMER: As the hormonal pregnant woman, I reserve the right to veto the winning name (so, if Sarah wins, don't expect to see it on any birth announcements).
Without further ado, here are the nominees:
1. Madison
2. Keira (pronounced Kee-rah)
3. Emily
4. Rebecca (Becca for short)
5. Jessica
All votes can be posted as comments to this blog, or can be e-mailed to me by clicking here. Limit one vote per e-mail address (unless I really like your suggestion, in which case I will allow ballot stuffing). The polls will close on November 4th at 8pm EST (seems only appropriate). We'll tally the votes and post the results that evening.
Poor child. . . her brother wants her to be a boy, and her parents have resorted to a naming contest like the zoo holds for baby elephants. At this rate, she may never want to come out. . .
Love, The Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
19 comments:
Congratulations on a baby girl!!! I'm so happy for you! So, you got any boy hand me downs you want to unload.... ;)
kidding! On to serious matters: the baby name. I like all your suggestions but I hereby vote against Madison. Mostly because Madison is to 2002-2008 as Jennifer was to 1978-1982 and let me tell you, as one of those jennifers? Annoying. I was one of THREE Jennifer M's in my sixth grade homeroom. And FIVE Jennifers, total. That's in one classroom. Of 29.
The Madisons of today, sadly, are destined to the same fate.
Now, that said, I really like Keira and Rebecca. I particularly like Rebecca Riley. I also like Keira Riley. I think whatever you do for a first name, Riley is a cute middle. It's also a cute first, but has a distinct whiff of yuppie pretension about it, and 2008 is all about reverse snobbism. Just look at the success of Sarah Palin for proof.
Although I am squarely in pretentious yuppie territory with my suggestion of Allegra. So what do I know?
Congratulations again. I'm so happy for you :)
I vote for Emily Rose Trahan.. I like the sound of it. I was thinking Emily when I was reading the list of possible middle names so I was excited to see it in the list. I don't have a blogger account so I am going to sign as Anonymous. Love you all, Julie
I like "Rebecca Rose" and also second "Emily Hope." I agree with jj about the Madison/Jennifer issue. I'm partial to Rebecca because it's acalable to several personality types. She could be a Becca, Rebecca, Becky, or Beckasaurus Rex.
I am so excited to meet her! Your little family is shaping up in a nice, gender-balanced way :-)
Love
Amanda
acalable = scalable.
I already gave my vote in person, so I just wanted to say I am so excited we are having girls together! And seriously, you know we are separated at birth given the number of names on this list that were also on our list - freaky. I was suprised thought that "Michaela" wasn't on the list - wouldn't that further Mikes life-long ambition to get the name back to the top? You could go with Michaela Christie - just like Michael Christopher, she would be named after Mike and your best friend. I think it has a good ring to it personally. :-)
Hey, so Marta say he likes Keira, Emily, and Madison in that order. I like Keira and Madison. But whatever her name is I can't wait to see the little Trahan. Love you! Your little sister and her silly boyfriend
Yay! Congrats on a girl. We're so excited for you. Gotta think on the names. We'll get back to you.
My vote is Madison. It's pretty and some what unique these days. I have to vote against Emily, because Emily is becommimg very popular again. I know of at least two woman who are naming their baby girl, or have named their baby girl Emily. Just think.. Madison and Mikie. M and M. It's cute. Keira would be my second choice.. but it just doesn't sound as cool "k and m". <3 Grace
I agree that Madison and Emily are pretty high on the popular lists. So while I like them, I like the other ones a bit more.
I like Riley as a middle name!
Congrats on having a little girl!! I really like Rebecca because it's so versatile and Rebecca Trahan sounds really authoritative doesn't it? Like she'll grow up to be president or something. I would like to submit a write in suggestion of Catherine. I find it to be a GREAT name and probably one of the best out there. We miss you guys and hope to see you soon!!! Matt and Cat Baumann
Love Madison.
Also like Fallyn.
If Mike had been a girl his name would be Jessica.
Love,
Gramma Kerrie
p.s. As nice as Emily Rose is ....
that is Emily R. Logan's name already.
Congratulations on a baby girl, that's so exciting. It's been fun following the Trahan's online. While I would love to throw in my two cents I have a feeling that the moment you see her for the first time you'll know what the right choice should be. Congrats again!
Hi I am going with a write in...I like Chelsea Hope Trahan....we have our cousin Greg's daughter is Rebecca last name is Rose!! I also like Zoe and Chloe but they don't go with the muddle names!! I agree with everyoen else Madison is tooo comman now and so is Emily!! Whatever "Little Nibbles" ends up with for a name she will be loved!! x0x0 Auntie Di
OOPS!! muddle names,middle names all the same!!
I like Kelsey Lynn or VIVIAN ALICE!!!!! also I like Madison. Love Gram
ok, I'm voting twice. Am I allowed to do that or am I cancelling myself out? I met a Maisie today. Cute, right? Love it. Now I vote for Maisie :)
Rebecca gets my vote. It sounds the best with the last name in any incarnation. It is also ageless in that it works whether she is 2 or 25 and looking for a job! I agree with the flexibility of it for nicknames.
And your friends are right about Madison. My niece is Madison and I like the name but she is one of several Madi's that I know.
Hope all is well and keep blogging when you can.
-Joyce Matney
My vote is for Rebecca - I liked that name - it was on the possible lists for Samantha but we obviously didn't use it.
I also love a variation of a name you have (Absolutely wanted to use this for Sarah but Scott was not a fan) Emma - it works nicely with several of your middle names but I think Emma Rose Trahan sounds quite nice. (Granted I would have used Emma Katharine or Emma Elizabeth - but instead Sarah's baby doll that Santa gave her when she was almost 2 is our Emma.
Congrats on having a little girl - I am sure it will be fun to have one of each (granted now you still need to go out and get some clothes) Oh well even though I had 2 girls I still buy stuff for Sam (althoughI will admit not as much)
Talk to you all sometime soon
Again Congrats - Danielle
PS When are you due?
You might have to rename your blog soon to account for the fact that now Mikie will not be alone!
Danielle
Post a Comment