Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Politics at Preschool

Mikie is having quite the political education this month. He is going to learn the Pledge of Allegiance at school this month. And, yesterday morning, we took him to vote, explaining that we were picking a new president, who is like the boss of the whole United States. He didn't seem to understand why so many people were standing in line outside in the cold, but was pacified by the fact that we would get a sticker. Incidentally, our town did NOT give out stickers (I asked). Luckily, Connecticut was liberal with their stickers, and a colleague gave me one of his.

Evidently, we weren't the only parents giving our child a civics lesson. Last night, while putting Mikie to bed, Mikie told Mike about his day at school. I wasn't there, but from what Mike told me, the conversation went something like this:

Mikie: "My friend, Kadin, wrote a letter to The Rock Obama at school today."

Mike: "I think you mean, Barack Obama. Why did Kadin write him a letter?"

Mikie: "Kadin's mom and dad really like The Rock." (we're assuming they really like Obama, and not Dwayne Johnson).

Mike: "Mom and Dad really like him too. That's why we voted for him to be the boss of the United States."

Mikie: "I don't like him."

Mike: "Why?"

Mikie: "Because his house has holes in the floor that mousies fall into."

Mike: "Well, who would you want to be the boss of the United States?"

Mikie: "I would vote for my friend, Kadin. He's always nice to me."

And this is why the legal voting age is 18, and not 4. Because, if Mikie were voting, all you would need to do is "be nice to him" (which usually entails candy, or a "surprise", or even just a sticker) or have a special place in your heart for mice and other furry creatures that most people do not consider "pets".

On a side note, I sincerely hope that The Rock Obama's house does not have holes in the floor, or mice for that matter. Since his new house is the White House, I would hope some of my tax dollars can afford to pay for termite and pest control. . .

Love, The Trahans

No comments: