Thursday, August 20, 2009

Another Mikie Moment

Last week, I had to get my car inspected, a task made all the more interesting (challenging) having the kids with me.

At 5pm, we pulled into the gas station. I love this gas station because it is a) located on my way home from work, b) is full serve only, c) participates in the discount gas program with the grocery store, and d) will inspect my car while I wait. . . something my car dealership doesn't do. Unfortunately, they are a gas station with a convenience store that is smaller than my closet (no lie). So, while my car is on a riser in a garage, I'm forced to stand outside and wait. Normally, I wouldn't mind. But, it happened to be 86 degrees outside and I had two tired children with me. . .

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to buy Mikie a snack in the convenience store. Unfortunately, they don't sell perishable items. . . including milk. While most kids would HAPPILY drink a soda or juice, Mikie is NOT most kids. If he can't drink milk, he will begrudgingly drink water. As I reached for a water and small bag of Oreos, Mikie picked up a bag of Oreo Cakesters. Conversation ensued:

Mom: "Those aren't real Oreos."

Mikie: "I know. They're Cakesters."

So, either he learned how to read, or he had Oreo Cakesters at school. The second option seemed more plausible, so I gave in. While I paid, Mikie struck up a conversation with the cashier (who happened to be the owner):

Mikie: "Hey! What do you think of my sister?"

Owner: looking at me "What did he say?"

Mikie: "Do you like my sister? Don't you think she's cute?"

Mom: embarrassed, "Mikie, come outside."

Of course, Mikie quickly realized that he does NOT like Cakesters, and that he needs to feed them to an ant. And, since he has given his snack to an insect, he needs real Oreos. As he gets up to go inside and help himself, I inform him that he will not be buying more cookies because I was out of money.

Finally, the car was ready. As I loaded the brood into the car, Mikie yells to the owner: "Hey, guy. Next time, get some milk, or we're never going to come here again."

I don't know where he gets his attitude from. Must be Mike. . .

Love, The Trahan

No comments: