Thursday, November 02, 2006

Keeping Up with the Jones'

Anyone who knows us realizes that we like to keep up with the Jones'. Actually, it is typically the Ryan's (since Mike and Chris are constantly on the phone comparing technology). This time, we are keeping up with the Hudson's. After seeing Christie and Scott's blog, I decided it would be a good way for us to update family and friends on our lives. So, here is the quick intro. . .

It is now early November. Flash back to early August, Mike, Mikie, and I were living in Maryland. For the most part, we were happy. However, I had a very high stress job with a young company, JONATHANproduct. And, while we had a handful of friends in Maryland, many of whom had started moving to other states (or countries). Add to that the stress that comes when you try and restrain a two year old in a car for 8 hours in order to visit Mike's family in Rhode Island, and we decided it was time for a change. I managed to get an amazing opportunity to work for Crabtree & Evelyn in Connecticut. And Mike, ever the supportive husband, agreed to follow me to a new state so that I could continue my career in the Personal Care industry.

Once the decision was made, we have had a whirl-wind (and equally stressful) three months. We worked very hard to put our house on the market. After less than two weeks of painting, cleaning, finishing the basement, ripping out and replacing vinyl flooring, packing superfluous items (like the Bruins jersey Mikie is modeling), and hiding toys in the garage, our house was officially on the market. And, 30 days (and one buried statue of St. Joseph later), we had a contract on our house.

Now, I have two months under my belt at Crabtree. Having switched companies once before, I was afraid I would have second thoughts. But, I am very happy and I have to remind myself I have only been there two months. It has been a very natural transition, and I don't regret moving at all.

Mike is continuing to work for Northrop Grumman from afar. He splits his time working from home, and driving to a nearby contractor to oversee their work. Occasionally, he travels back to Maryland, which has been helpful while we finish closing on our house there.

As you can see from the picture, Mikie has settled into New England nicely. Mike has taught him to say "Go Sox". He loves his daycare. They spend a lot of time outside (one of his favorite pasttimes). And, he has wowed the staff with his ability to make an elephant noise (a feat uncommon to 2-year olds). Living in a rural area, he loves to say "Hi cows!" to all the cows we pass during our morning commute to daycare/work. The only side effect of moving is that he calls a lot of places "Mikie's House". . . the house in Maryland. . . the apartment. . . the house we are buying in Massachusetts. . . random people's houses. Of course, that may just be a side effect of being 2, so I let it slide. And, I am praying he doesn't start dropping his r's. . .

We will try and update everyone as interesting (or entertaining) things happen.

The Trahans

No comments: