Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Family Pet

Lots of families have pets. Typically they are dogs or cats. Occasionally they are smaller animals like fish, hampsters, hermit crabs. But how many families can say they are the proud owners of a pet worm? The Trahans can.

Yes, never to be branded as "typical", Mikie found a worm at school. After "playing" with it in the sun, the teacher thought it would be best to give Mikie a cup of dirt for the worm to live in. As she put it, the worm was looking a bit "dehydrated".

By the time I arrived at school, Mikie, who was covered in more dirt than the worm, was running to show me his new friend. I couldn't see the worm in the dirt; the teacher thought it was hiding. Honestly, it's amazing the worm didn't have a heart attack from being "loved" by my son.

Now came the fun of transporting Mikie and Wormy (his official name is Wormy Squirmy) home. To prevent the worm being unleashed in the car, I thought it best if Wormy traveled in the cup holder next to me. Thankfully, he is a well behaved worm, and didn't attempt to exit his plastic cup while the car was moving.

When we got home, Mikie proudly showed us all Wormy. Part of him was still pulsing, so we think he is still alive and well. We transported him to a larger glass bowl with some fresh dirt (since worms eat dirt). And, he is currently resting on the kitchen table.

I think Mike finally agrees that our child is DESPERATE for a pet, dog, hampster, or, in this case, worm. So, we will start looking more seriously into a dog (since I had bad luck with hampsters as a child). And, in a few days, I will attempt to convince Mikie to return Wormy to his mom and dad in the school playground.

In the interim, here are pictures of Mikie and Wormy:
I'd just like to note that I did ask Mikie if any of the other boys got pet worms. His reply, "No. But I got a worm."

Love, The Trahans

UPDATE: Sadly, Wormy is no longer with us. He passed away sometime in the evening of June 17th. Maybe the excitement of the Celtics crushing the Lakers was too much for him. Or, more likely, he may have gotten sick from the blend of dirt and Miracle Grow potting soil I put him in. Not having the heart to break it to Mikie, we convinced him that Wormy was "homesick" and that we should let him live in our garden.

No comments: