Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Grass is Always Greener

Have you ever been somewhere and you see other people's children sitting quietly and coloring, or helping, or just LISTENING to their parents? And, you can't help but wonder for a split second "why can't my child be like that?" I think everyone does (and if they don't, please don't spoil my delusion). . .

Last night, watching Jay Leno, I saw a clip that made me realize that I have a lot to be thankful for. Jay has a segment "Dealing with the Public" where he plays amusing 911 tapes and surveillance footage. The third clip he played was of a call from a "4-year-old boy" who was being "abused." You can click here to watch. They show the clip at 13:43 into the show from June 3rd. I've listed the transcript below in case you are in a hurry:

Child: "Could you come get my Nana?"

Operator: "You want us to come get your Nana?"

Child: "‘Cause Nana’s being mean. . . "

Operator: "She’s being mean?"

Child: ". . . yeah. . . "

Operator: "How ‘bout if you let me talk to Nana? I’ll talk to her."

Nana: "Who is this?"

Operator: "Hi, this is Eaton County 911. Is this Nana?"

Nana: laughing ". . . yeah. . ."

Operator: "Well I have a report by this 4-year-old that you’re being mean."

Nana: "He’s not getting his way, I want him to put his underwear on and he won’t do it."

Operator: laughing "I think that’s perfectly fine, and we will not send the police for that. Thank you, ma’am."

Nana: "Thank you."

Operator: "Bye-bye."

Nana: "Bye-bye."

Could you imagine having to explain to a 911 operator that you weren't being mean to your child? I mean, Mikie has threatened to call the police on me (see January's post And The Oscar Goes To), but he has never actually followed through on it. Granted, I'm sure it helps that he doesn't know what the number 9 looks like yet. . .

Love,
The Trahans

No comments: