Translation: Do you speak Spanish? Of course!
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but when I get up and get in the shower in the morning, I am not completely awake. Heck, many days I leave the overhead light off and shower by the filtered sunlight trickling in through the window. While I CAN wake up and get things accomplished, I don't consider myself a "morning person".
So, at 5:45 in the morning, I was not expecting my three year old to come storming into the bathroom screaming, "Come downstairs with me, Mommy." It took me a few seconds for my brain to process that the loud voice I was hearing a) belonged to my child and b) was talking to me. I called back, "I can't; I am taking a shower." Evidently, he either didn't notice or didn't care, because he continued to insist that I come downstairs to play. The volume of his demands was quickly breaking through the fog in my head. As reason set in, I poked my head out of the shower and said "You go downstairs now, and I will come down after I am done showering." As per his usual, Mikie made sure to reiterate the terms of our agreement, to make sure I understood:
Mikie: "I will go downstairs, and you can come downstairs after your shower. ¿Comprendo?"
Mom (to self): Did he just say "Comprendo?" Where would he pick that up? No one he knows speaks Spanish. . .
Mikie: louder "Mom, ¿Comprendo?"
Mom: "Comprendo."
I am still not sure where he learned this. I later found out that he said something similar to one of his teachers last week at school too. Evidently, just asking "Okay" isn't good enough anymore. He has to say it in another language. Not sure if he is being cute or a smarty pants. . .
Con amor, Los Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
1 comment:
To shed some light on the subject. I've run into similar situations with Matthew and Mikie may have picked up some of Matthew's Spanish. Our conversations with Matthew tend to go like this;
Me: "Matthew its time to pick up your toys and get ready for bed."
Matthew: "No compredno, Mom!"
We're not really sure where he picked this up but he may be sharing his new found fluent tongue. I am however impressed that both boys have somehow figured out how to use the language in the correct context at the age of 3.
Post a Comment