Mikie has taken to making threats lately when he doesn't get his way. Except, the threats are things that would hurt him more than us if he ever followed through on them. His favorites are "I'm not going to be your friend anymore" and "I'm going to find another neighborhood to live in". But, he is starting to expand his repetoire.
For example, on Thursday of last week, he wanted desperately to bring his blow up guitar and toy car that he got at the Crabtree picnic into daycare. Now, they have asked parents to limit bringing toys to school on Friday only. One, it is less disruptive during class. And, two it is easier to keep track of who brought which toy one day of the week, rather than every day. Mikie understands that he can only bring toys to school on Friday, and was therefore desperate to convince me that it WAS Friday (thinking it was easier than trying to convince me to let him bring a toy in on a Thursday). Now, while I wished it were Friday, it obviously wasn't. At this point, he switched tactics, telling me that if he couldn't bring a toy to school today, he wouldn't bring any toys to school ANYMORE.
After 10 minutes of standing in the parking lot, trying to rationalize with him, I gave in, angrily telling him to get his toy and get out of the car immediately.
This evening, he pulled another threat. We had gone to Red Robin for dinner, but Mikie decided he didn't want the hamburger he ordered. I forced him to eat some of my chicken strips. Of course, when it came time to go to bed, his belly was conveniently hungry. And, not just for anything, but for blueberries. Unfortunately, I hadn't bought any blueberries. We tried to convince him to eat grapes, but he was adamant about eating blueberries. The conversation proceeded as follows:
Mikie: "Mom, I have a great idea. You can go out to the store and buy some blueberries and bring them home so I can eat them."
Mom: "All the stores are closed. We can buy blueberries tomorrow. Eat something else instead."
Mikie: "I have a better idea. Dad can run to the store so fast, he can drive Lightening, and get the blueberries. . . "
Mom: "No one is going to the store for blueberries tonight. All the stores are closed. Eat some peanut butter crackers."
Mikie: "Okay, but if there aren't any blueberries for me to eat in this house, than I am going to stick my head out the window."
Mom: now completely exasperated "Well, go open a window because we don't have any blueberries!"
At this point, Mike could not contain his amusement any longer. He was mumbling "open a window" through his laughter. This only prompted Mikie to laugh, too, and me to get annoyed at the two of them.
Some days I wish he'd follow through on some of these threats. It would make my life easier (or at least more amusing).
Love, The Trahans
November 2012 . in pictures
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment