Saturday, August 23, 2008

Water Sports

When I was pregnant with Mikie, we had gone in for an appointment where we were supposed to hear the heartbeat for the first time. We lived in panick for 24 hours after a nurse and two doctors couldn't find a heartbeat with their Doppler device. They sent us the next day for an ultrasound. The problem: our very active fetus was swimming laps around my uterus. He would float over to one side and kick off with his legs, zooming across the monitor to the other side. At the time, we joked he had the makings of the next Michael Phelps.

Fastforward four years. Mikie is obsessed with swimming and all water related activities. We took him to the beach and I was convinced he would want nothing to do with the ocean. And, while I love Misquamicut (especially seeing Kerrie and Norm), the waves aren't exactly calm. Even after being knocked off his feet and washed ashore, Mikie still wanted to go back in the water again (after he spit all the sand and seawater out of his mouth).

Here is some footage of Mikie swimming at the pool at Grandma Pookies house. I don't know how much swimming he did, but he loved jumping in:And, most recently, footage of Mikie at the Crabtree & Evelyn company picnic this week. They had both a moonbounce and a water slide. When they advertised the water slide, I have to admit, I thought they sent the "Fun Committee" to Walmart for a Slip & Slide. When we saw the water slide they rented, I regretted not bringing a bathing suit. However, it was only 75 degrees outside, and the water came straight from the well. To warm up after one of his many trips down the slide, Mikie asked for some ice cream (which he incidently inhaled through chattering teeth). We apologize in advance for the video; Mike couldn't tell what slide he was coming down. . .I don't know if the Olympics are in his future; but beach bum or surfer may be up there on his list.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: