Friday, August 29, 2008

The Woodstock Fair

This post could more aptly be titled "Why a Pregnant Woman Should Not Take Her Four Year Old Son to the Fair". But, I thought that was too long.

Every Labor Day weekend, the town of Woodstock, CT (where I work and Mikie goes to school) hosts the Woodstock Fair. It is an event. People in the town talk about it all year. If you aren't going to the fair, something must be wrong with you. And, the traffic is horrendous (for all of our friends in metropolitan areas, you would laugh at their concept of "traffic").

We had gone to the Fair last year, and Mikie had a great time. So, I decided to take a day off from work, and treat Mikie to a day at the Fair. My motivation was somewhat selfish, since they sell ride bracelets on Friday that let you ride all day for one price. Because tickets are almost $1 a piece, and even the kiddie rides take 3 tickets, I figured we only needed to hit 5-6 rides each to justify the $32 cost for two ride bracelets.

We arrived around 10:45 and waited in line for 15 minutes for the ticket window to open to get our bracelets. This is where the fun started. I will be the first to admit that one of my biggest symptoms of pregnancy is moodiness and a complete lack of patience. Not that I am the model of patience on a good day, but my tolerance for whining and or stupidity is at an all time low. The line, though long, moved pretty quickly. Each group quickly stepped up to the window, handed the cashier their cash and coupons, grabbed their bracelets and change and ran off to the rides. As we stood their, Mikie informed me that he had to use the potty. There was no way, after 20 minutes of waiting, that I was leaving this line to run to the bathrooms. Although I was annoyed that he didn't use the bathrooms 30 minutes ago when we stopped at Crabtree, I calmly asked him to hold it until we got our tickets. After all, there were three families in front of us.

There was now only one family separating Mikie and I from our bracelets. . . a family of 9 (mom, dad, grandma and 6 KIDS). Imagine my frustration when I realized that EACH CHILD WAS PAYING INDIVIDUALLY!!!! Yes, mom would announce "Sarah, it's your turn". And, Sarah would walk up, give the cashier her cash and coupon, and wait patiently for her change and bracelet. 7 TIMES I HAD TO WATCH THIS (mom, dad and grandma evidently not caring that they got their tickets together). I was half tempted to tell Mikie to go pee on the women's shoes, I was so exasperated.

We grabbed our tickets, and started running to the bathroom. Or rather, I was running. Mikie, who normally runs EVERYWHERE, seemed to have lost all energy while standing in line. He followed me (about 3 feet behind at all times) in a zombie like state. We successfully made it to the bathroom, and were now free to hit the rides, almost 40 minutes after we first arrived.

Unfortunately, instead of riding rides, Mikie preferred to gamble away his money in an effort to win cheap toys. And, every carnival staff member seemed to take prey on his enthusiasm. I couldn't walk five feet without someone yelling at me "Hey, Mom, pop a balloon and win a prize" or "Hey, Mom, $5 buys two chances for him to win." It got to the point that I wanted to yell, "Hey, I am NOT YOUR MOM. So stop calling me that!" Of course, there were a few that Mikie wanted to desperately to play, that I gave in and "donated" my cash to the fair for him to play. We are now the proud owners of a cheap plastic sword, identical to the one he won last year, and a Batman pillow large enough for a hampster, complete with suction cup so you can attach it to your window. Woo hoo!

We did enjoy a few rides. Unfortunately, not enough to justify the cost of the ride bracelets. Here are some pictures:

Mikie and Mom riding the Ferris Wheel

A view of the fair from the top of the Ferris Wheel

Mikie riding the train of pick-up trucks

He really enjoyed those trucks

Mikie and Mom riding the Dragon Roller Coaster

Shortly after the Dragon Roller Coaster, Mikie informed me he wanted to leave. Even though we didn't get our money's worth, I was pretty much fed up with dealing with Mikie at the fair. So, we cut our losses and headed for home.

Next time I decide to take a Friday off, I may rethink keeping Mikie home with me. At least until my patience returns.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: