Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Birthday Parties (Takes 1 & 2)

Call us gluttons for punishment, but this year, Mikie is having FOUR birthday parties. It wasn't always this way. I remember fondly the days when we had only one party in Maryland. And then, we moved to Massachusetts. So, last year, we ended up having TWO parties: one with kids from school and Mike's mom's family, a second with friends, neighborhood kids, and Mike's dad's family. This year, to accomodate all parties (pardon the pun), we are up to FOUR. If we continue at this rate, we will be having EIGHT parties by the time baby #2 arrives. (In reality, it's more likely that I will either go bankrupt, insane, or get sick of cake and we will end up doing one big party for both kids in a random month like July). But, I digress. . .

Party #1 - The McLaughlins:

Grand Da, Grandma Pookie, Auntie Katie, and Katie's friend Marta came up to visit on Labor Day weekend, so we celebrated Mikie's birthday while everyone was in town. Mikie picked out a Carvel ice cream cake (saving Mom a lot of effort). We had a nice dinner of meatloaf, the world's best corn, and oven browned potatoes before diving in to cake and presents. Special thanks to my family for wrapping all the gifts while I took a nap, and special apologies to everyone for my crankiness (hormones and lack of sleep are not a good combination).Mikie got some great gifts. Grand Da bought him a massive set of Tinker Toys (one of Mikie's favorite building toys). Grandma Pookie bought him a new snow suit in Red Sox red & blue. Unfortunately, Mikie doesn't quite understand why he can't wear it to school; I keep trying to explain that it isn't snowing yet. But, at least we know he likes it. Auntie Katie and Marta bought him a Transformer, the Fishing Game and a Light Bright. As you can see, he was very excited about his Transformer (it's a dinosaur). We all agreed the Fishing Game is WAY to difficult. The manufacturer switched from magnetic poles and fish to poles with hooks that you actually have to get INTO the fishes mouth to catch him. Another case of a classic toy being remade poorly. We may be on E-bay looking for the magnetic version. But, the Light Bright provided ample fun (especially for Katie and I, who never had a Light Bright as kids).

Party #2 - Friends from School:

Last year many of Mikie's friends' parents didn't feel the need to drive 45 minutes each way to bring their child to a birthday party. Honestly, I can't entirely blame them. We are pretty selective about driving 45 minutes back to Woodstock to go to their kid's parties. So since our daycare has recently offered to rent their "big room" out for birthday parties, I decided to take advantage. With the remnants of Hurricane Hannah blowing, it worked out well, since the dozen kids in attendance were able to run around and destroy the daycare, and my house looks unscathed. Well, not completely unscathed, since I made a mess of the kitchen baking. . .

Yes, I made the cake. Mikie wanted a Monkey Party. So, I made the same monkey cake we had at Mikie's 2nd birthday. With a few exceptions. Mikie chose the cake mix (Betty Crocker Moist Delux Dark Chocolate Fudge versus the Marble Cake of two years ago), and I did all the rest. And, I must say it tasted pretty good. As per his usual, Mikie ate only the frosting, but the other kids and parents loved it. We only had about a fourth of it left to bring home.Mikie also chose the games we played: Duck Duck Goose, Musical Chairs, and Hot Potato. He assured me these were all fun games (as if I'd never played them). His exact words were "Musical Chairs is a fun game we play in Mr. Jay's room and I always lose!" Well, today Mikie won at musical chairs. And, he didn't even cheat by hovering near the chair. I guess all those laps he runs around the house have made him pretty speedy, because the kid he beat out was SIX! Duck Duck Goose was interesting as well. For whatever reason, all the kids chose to pick on me (I guess pregnant women look like they are slow runners). Screams of "Goose Me" rang through the room. Unfortunately, not all the kids understood that when Mikie says "Meatball" or "Balogne", it's the equivalent of being "goosed". But, I think they had fun anyway.

All in all, we had a great time, and we didn't have to clean up (thanks to the Northwood teachers who volunteered to be our "party planners"). Plus, we were so worn out that all three of us took naps when we got home. Now that's the sign of a great party!

We have a third party planned for the 14th in Providence, and the fourth and final party on the 20th. So, look forward to more pictures of chaos, cake and presents.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: