Monday, December 01, 2008

Monday

I think there was a saying "Monday's child is full of grace." Let's just say that being born on Monday didn't help Mikie in this category.

At 4:50pm, as I was walking back from the candy machine (yes, I'm pregnant), I could hear my phone ringing. I didn't speed up because I'd been harassed by obnoxious sales people all day. Then I heard my cell phone ring. I ran into my office in time to notice that it was the daycare calling. Anyone with kids knows this is never a good sign. . .

Turns out, Mikie was running "really fast" (his words, not mine), but "not in the mud" (his clothes tell a different story" and fell into the picnic table. His nose was bleeding and swelling quickly, and the staff weren't sure if he broke it.

I will admit, the first thought through my head was "If I call the doctor, they will tell me to go to the ER. And, if I go to the ER, it won't be broken. So, why bother." After all, it was almost five o'clock, and I was (am) a very tired, swollen pregnant woman who was looking forward to going home.

But, guilt got the better of me. So, I broke two laws (speeding and talking on a cell phone while driving) and called the pediatrician while rushing to daycare. As predicted, they told me to take him to the ER. And, as predicted, they recommended I go to UMass Memorials University Campus (45 minutes from the daycare) because they have a special pediatric ER and he would get the best treatment there.
Three hours later, Mikie had gotten to have three pictures taken of his bones, only to determine that I was correct, his nose was not broken. By this time, Nibbles and I were starving (having given the last of our candy bar to Mikie). We made a trip to Friendly's for a very late dinner and ice cream, and finally made it home around 10pm.

Of course, the evening wouldn't be complete without some amusing Mikie anecdotes:
  1. When I arrived at daycare, Mikie was lounging on a cot, surrounded by doting females. . . namely his friends Teagan and Tessa.
  2. Not only did he have the girls wrapped around his finger, but he had the teacher feeling guilty enough to give him her full size Kit Kat bar (one of Mikie's favorite candy bars).
  3. When we arrived at the hospital, Mikie wanted me to walk back to the car to get his other Batman toy. Not feeling like walking a mile back to the parking garage, I told him we could all go after we saw the doctor. To which Mikie replied, "I have a better idea. I'll wait here while you and dad walk back to the car and get my toy." To which I responded, "No way. If we did that, the nice policeman out front would take daddy and mommy away for leaving you hear by yourself." To which my smart a$$ son responded, "Well, we'll just tell the policeman what the plan is." The most amusing part of the story. . . the "nice policeman" just happened to be sitting right outside the open door of our room when I said this. Hopefully he was amused and not taking down my personal information to run a background check. . .
  4. As is becoming a trend, the doctor took note of the fact that Mikie was "very active" and looked like the type of kid who was familiar with bumps and bruises. At least they peg him correctly, rather than assume we abuse the kid. Although, given that this is not the first time we've been to this ER, they did expect him to tell the story of what happened, to make sure it meshed with mine. Or maybe the policeman tipped her off. . .
Thankfully, we're all home, and none of us are broken. Although, I'm starting to think that the Christmas photo is a waste of time this year. Either that, or it will be a picture of Mikie looking like a real hockey player. At least he still has all his teeth. . .

Love, The Trahans

2 comments:

jj said...

Ha, Ha, HA! This post cracked me up! Mikie and Owen really ARE kindred spirits! Two nose films in one week? What are the odds?

I hope Mikie and you are BOTH feeling well. see you saturday!

Anonymous said...

Poor little fellow! At least he said some funny stuff...