Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Mother of the Year

I know this isn't the first time I have written a post with this title, and with a second child on the way, I'm sure this won't be the last. . .

Today, I dropped Mikie off at school in his pajamas. I had a perfectly rational explanation for doing so: one of the kids in his class was celebrating her birthday. She loves wearing pajamas, so her parents arranged for the teacher to hold "pajama day" in honor of her birthday. All the parents received a note telling them to have their kids wear their pajamas to school on December 9th. . .

So, Mikie happily headed into school this morning in his pajamas. And, inside, we discovered that he was THE ONLY KID in his pajamas. Evidently, the birthday girl went home sick yesterday. And, although Mikie told me this yesterday, I failed to get the memo that, because she went home sick, the pajama party would be postponed until December 10th.

Luckily, Mikie frequently marches to the beat of a different drum, and was completely unfazed by the fact that he was walking around in fleece PJ's with a gorilla on his chest.

As if it wasn't bad enough that he was wearing PJ's at school, when I picked him up, he informed me he had an "accident". He tends towards constipation and refuses to wear his underpants if there is any drop of urine or streak of fecal matter visible on them. So, when he told me he had an "accident", I asked if he changed his underwear. At this point he told me he didn't have any. Knowing what the answer would be, I asked him if he was WEARING any underwear, correctly guessing that he would say "No."

Yes, my child was forced to go commando for the afternoon because his mother didn't restock his container of backup clothes and underwear. . .

And, that is why I will not be receiving the Mother of the Year award this year.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: