Sunday, February 22, 2009

And Then There Were Four

For anyone who hasn't heard, Nibbles has arrived. . . two and a half weeks early. And, as with this entire pregnancy, she made sure to complicate life along the way.

On Tuesday, I went for my 37 week doctor appointment to find out that my blood pressure was elevated. Honestly, I wasn't surprised; I was more surprised that it took 37 weeks to appear. I mean, my hands, feet, legs, were swollen to epic proportions for months. And, when I was pregnant with Mikie, I had high blood pressure for the last four weeks before he arrived.

Unlike my pregnancy with Mikie, my obstetrician ordered me to "modified bed rest". Which meant laying around with my feet elevated, resting, working only if I could do so from the comfort of my bed or couch. This of course was complicated by the fact that Mikie attends preschool near Crabtree - 45 minutes from our house, nearly 2 hours from where Mike works.

So, on Wednesday, Nibbles and I planted ourselves on the couch, surrounded by phones, bottles of water, and the laptop and worked. I was nauseous and having contractions all day, but they were still 10 minutes apart, so I didn't expect too much. At 5pm, it was snowing, so we hopped in the car and drove to pick up Mikie.

Yes, an hour and a half of driving along bumpy back roads through me into labor. Full on painful contractions spaced 1-3 minutes apart. I drove home, and waited patiently for Mike to arrive (knowing that if he thought I was in labor, he would be driving 90mph on the Mass Pike in bad weather). When he arrived, we debated whether or not to go to the hospital. I was sick of going to labor and delivery for monitoring, only to be sent home pregnant. And, I was only 1 cm dilated the day before. But, since I was in too much pain to sleep, we decided to go in.

Show of hands, how many pregnant women have driven themselves to the hospital while in labor? Oh, and while it is snowing? Yeah, I did. Before everyone attacks Mike, I refused to let him drive. I was very nauseous and motion sick, and Mike tries to break records during the 11 mile drive to the hospital. Not wanting to die on the way to the hospital, I thought it best if I did the driving. Not only did I drive us, I dropped the boys at the entrance to the ER, parked the car, and walked back IN THE SNOW to the hospital.

Sure enough, I was still only dilated 1 cm. But, thanks to my OB being on call and my blood pressure being elevated, they decided to keep me. After all, my contractions were close together and this was my second child. SURELY I would deliver quickly.

WRONG! 14 hours later, Nibbles arrived. I'll spare everyone the gory details and switch to what everyone really wants. . . pictures:

Hannah Reilly Trahan arrived at 12:23 pm on February 19th. She weighted in at 7-lbs, 14.7-ozs (on target for 8-lbs 13-ozs if she went to 40 weeks, I might add). And, we defied the genetic odds and got a red head! Hopefully it stays that color.

Mike and Hannah.

Mikie is tickled by just how little his "little sister" is.

Coming home from the hospital (Go Bruins!)

Mikie demonstrates what a good big brother he is by helping feed Nibbles.

Hannah and Grand Da.

Love, The Trahans

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Congratulations! She is just beautiful. Hope mommy and baby are doing well.

jj said...

Congratulations!! And, but I WANT to hear the gory details! Some other time - perhaps with wine, haha. If you need anything, let me know! I'm more than happy to drive down and help you out, or just let you take a nap. How's everything going?