Friday, February 06, 2009

The Hug

Or, another futile attempt by Mikie to make me feel beautiful. . .

After Sibling Class, we decided to go to Friendly's for dinner. Mostly because I didn't have the energy after the class to cook, but also because I bribed Mikie with "dinner out" in a futile effort to keep him from destroying the hospital.

As seems to be par for the course lately, the service at Friendly's was less than stellar. Our waitress (who sadly knows us because we eat there so frequently) was great. But, the "cook" left mid-shift, the manager sent another employee home, and the staff started turning away customers at the door, as those of us who already ordered were stuck waiting an hour for food. During this time, Mikie wore on my very thin nerves by headbutting me in the side. That, combined with Nibbles kung-fu kicks me in the ribs, made me realize it was in everyone's best interest if I sat in the car to cool off before losing my temper.

By the time I came back inside, Mikie was apologetic (probably because Mike lectured him while I was outside). Mike told him to give me a hug and kiss. Mikie stood up on the booth, and loosely wrapped his arms around my neck.

Mike: "That was the worst hug I've ever seen."

Mom: "In his defense, it's not easy to hug me, especially when we're cramped in a booth."

Mikie: holding his hands in front of him to form as big a circle as he possibly could "Yeah, I would have to stretch sooo much like this and squeeze and squeeze and it would be so hard."

Mom: "Yes, thank you for the visual demonstration."

Obviously, Mikie thinks that I have more in common with a beached whale than I do. Thankfully, my hormone levels weren't so high that I started crying. And, hopefully, Nibbles will arrive soon, and he will realize I won't be this large forever.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: