Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far

Yesterday, I bravely ventured out to Babies 'R Us with both children in search of new bottles for Hannah. It should have been a quick trip: drive to store, grab three packs of bottles that I preselected before leaving the house, go to cash register, pay, drive home. Since Mikie was in toe, we had to look at the toys, which added to the time in the store (in spite of the fact that the toy section consists of a limited number of toys, geared mostly to children under the age of three).

We eventually made it to the cash register. The ONLY register open in the store. We were behind a couple who appeared to be finishing purchasing items off their baby registry. I was surprised to see a couple in the store in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday (hello, don't they have jobs?) The wife kept trying to use coupons that weren't valid yet. Then, she argued that her breast pump should be on sale (which prompted pulling a circular out of her purse). When they finally agreed on sale prices with the cashier, her husband pulled out multiple gift cards to pay with. Since I wanted to get home and sterilize the new bottles before Hannah's next feeding (and patience is one of those virtues I lack), I was quickly getting annoyed. But, I tried to maintain my composure.

And then there was Mikie. Bless his heart, he turns to me and yells, "Why are these people taking so long to pay?" (Evidently, he inherited some of my less desirable traits. Let's hope Hannah only inherited my physical appearance. . . )

As any mom whose child just said something embarrassing would do, I laughed and said in my best school teacher voice, "Mikie, we need to be patient. It will be our turn soon." Luckily, they opened another cash register, and we were soon exiting the store.

Happy shopping.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: