Thursday, March 26, 2009

Priceless

During my senior year of college, one of my many esteemed professors told us that if we only owned one reference manual, we should all own Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook. Needless to say, being the obedient student that I was (yes, a dork), I fully intended to purchase a copy immediately. Until I discovered that this "bible" for my profession cost a few hundred dollars (in my head, I remember it being close to $500, but it is listed as much less today).

As if the fact that I wanted to own this wasn't bad enough, I asked my mother to buy it for me for CHRISTMAS. Yes, it was my big present Christmas of 1999. I couldn't have been happier (as I said, I was a dork). And, I did use it a few times that last year of school. But, never could I have imagined just how useful it would become. . . Yes, 10 years later, my expensive reference manual is being used to help my infant daughter's sinuses drain. I don't remember which professor insisted we buy it, but I am sure he never anticipated it would end up elevating a crib mattress. And, when I received it Christmas morning, I never knew how incredibly useful it would be.

Love, The Trahans

No comments: